Prevent Instagram From Saving Posts to Your Camera Roll Instagram’s app for Android and iPhone has a feature that automatically saves a copy of your captured content in your phone’s gallery. If you don’t need these copies and want to save storage space, you can disable this feature.
To disable the feature:
- Launch the Instagram app on your phone.
- Tap your profile icon in the bottom bar.
- In the top-right corner, tap the hamburger menu (three horizontal lines) and choose “Settings and Privacy”.
- Scroll down and select “Archiving and Downloading”.
- Turn off the “Save Original Photos” option.
- To prevent your Stories from being saved, disable the “Save Story to Gallery” option as well.
Note that there won’t be any prompts, but the changes will be saved. Instagram on your phone will no longer save a copy of the photos or videos you capture using the app’s built-in camera.
File Size: Calculating... MB
If you want to free up more storage space on your iPhone or Android phone, you can also:
- Empty the Trash
- Reduce WhatsApp’s storage usage
- Analyze your other apps’ storage usage
- Find and delete duplicate files on your phone
How to Manually Download Instagram Posts to Your Phone
Option 1: Download Individual Videos
To download and save individual videos (Reels) to your phone, follow these steps:
- Launch Instagram and access your profile page.
- Select the video you want to download.
- On the video screen, tap the three dots in the right sidebar.
- In the open menu, select “Download”.
Instagram will save the selected video to your phone’s local storage.
Option 2: Download All of Your Content
If you want to save all your Instagram posts (including photos and videos) to your device, you can request Instagram for a copy of the information they have on you. Follow these steps:
- Launch Instagram and open your profile page.
- Tap the hamburger menu.
- Choose “Your Activity”.
- Scroll to the bottom and select “Download Your Information”.
- Choose “Request a Download”.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to send Instagram a request to download your data.
Instagram will process your request and notify you when your content archive is ready for download. Keep in mind that you’ll have four days to download your requested information, after which the download link will expire. If needed, you can re-request Instagram to send you a copy of your data. Please note that the download won’t include other users’ content, such as photos in which they’ve tagged you.
By following these steps, you can prevent Instagram from saving copies of your content on your phone. Enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) About Instagram Photo and Video Saving
1. Can I Download Photos and Videos to My Camera Roll After Turning Off the “Save Original Posts” Setting?
No, if you disable the “Save Original Posts” setting on Instagram, you won’t have the option to save photos and videos directly to your camera roll using the Instagram app.
2. What Happens to the Posts I’ve Already Saved to My Camera Roll Before Turning Off the Setting?
Disabling the “Save Original Posts” setting will not impact the photos and videos you’ve previously saved to your camera roll. You’ll still have access to them in your camera roll.
3. Will Disabling the “Save Original Posts” Setting Affect My Ability to Share Posts With Others?
No, turning off the “Save Original Posts” setting won’t hinder your ability to share posts with others. You can continue to share posts via the share button or by sharing the post URL.
4. How to Download Instagram Photos Using a Copy URL Method?
5. How Can I Automatically Save Photos and Videos from Other Instagram Users to My Camera Roll?
To automatically save posts from other users to your camera roll, follow these steps:
- Visit your Instagram profile.
- Tap the three lines in the top right corner.
- Select “Settings,” and then go to “Account.”
- Toggle on the “Save Original Posts” option to automatically save posts you like to your camera roll.